Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 191

    Queenstown & The Remarkables

    January 6, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We made our way from Wanaka to Queenstown. On the way, there was a nice, quiet freedom campsite on Lake Hayes. It was a nice base to explore the surroundings, without staying in busy Queenstown.

    We walked a loop around Kelvin peninsula. It's a great place to watch the Jet Boats and Hydro Attack Shark Boats skim by through the Queenstown Harbour. And it's mostly flat along the water, so it was a peaceful walk.

    Next we drove up the Remarkables, several peaks that dominate the skyline from Queenstown. It was a steep climb in the van. In the winter this is a ski resort. But while we were there, there was no snow to be found. Instead, Mats climbed to the top of the hill to get views of the valley below.

    From here, Queenstown sprawled along the river, between the mountains and Lake Wakatipu. In the foreground, Kelvin Heights and the peninsula stand out like a lone hill. Lake Wakatipu itself stretched out in the distance to Glenorchy (where we would go the following day). The views were mesmerizing.

    That evening we returned to Lake Hayes. At dusk, a surprise came out of the bushes. A small hedgehog was wiggeling its way through the grass, hoping to score a tasty snack. When we spotted him, he quickly ran to hide under the van.
    Read more