Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    On the road again …

    March 25 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 1 °C

    Left the lovely Sylvia Hotel and picked up our car for the great adventure of driving across Canada. 🍁 We upgraded to a small four wheel drive on the good advice from our car rental agent. We are both happy with this decision.

    Graham managed the exit from Vancouver with his usual aplomb for which I am very grateful! We were soon in the mountains, where we experienced the full gamut of weather, from rain, sleet and light snow to brilliant sunshine. We thought we were on our way to a place called Hope (now there’s a title for a play or novel) but ended up further down the track, stopping at a quiet little mining town called Princeton where every second business has “Copper” in its name: for example we are staying at the Copper Mountain suites and we ate a fab meal at the Copper Pit. Say no more.

    According to Wikipedia, Princeton (originally Prince Town) was named for the Prince of Wales. It’s a former mining and railway hub that lies at the confluence of the Tulameen into the Similkameen River, just east of the Cascade Mountains. Today the mining of copper (what else) continues.

    There was hardly a soul on the streets in Princeton but the people inside of places were just lovely: Donna at the visitors centre with her mantra “Princeton is the bronze sculpture capital of Canada”; Paige at our motel; the young women who served us dinner. All beautiful.
    Read more