Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Christchurch Central

    December 16, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Well, the Ryan's are off on another adventure so feel free to read along or delete the emails if you wish!
    After a very rushed last day of school, we headed to the airport and had a bit of time in the American Express lounge, eating up and having a glass of wine ready for our non-food and drink Jetstar flight! With a plane delay and a drunk passenger next to Michael, we finally arrived at Christchurch, climbed into bed in our airport motel at 2am! Woke the next morning and Michael headed off to get the motorhome, brought it back to our motel and then we were off to the Woolworths equivalent - "Countdown" had us all singing "the final countdown...doo-doo-doo-DOO" and we had a laugh for new words - "trundle" for trolley and the "judder bars" for speed humps and we certainly juddered with our tins and bottles clinking every time we turned a corner!
    After finding our caravan park and putting all our food away, we headed into the city centre and had a look at the earthquake devastation. Great to see all the art work around the city keeping the spirits of the city up during this time of rebuild. The Botanical Gardens were lovely, especially the rose garden (fitting for the English town along with the names Oxford and Durham etc) and we were treated to a free operatic treat as "Sole Mio" (a NZ trio of two tenors and a baritone) were performing in the Botanic Gardens so could hear the solo tenor arias and the orchestra performing as we wandered through the gardens. Headed back to the caravan park (it's RV city here!) for an early night. Lots of decisions as to who was going to sleep where, so a roster has been worked out and we're all set!
    Read more