Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    The Journey

    August 10, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    I could just say that today day was all about the bears but that would not be entirely true. There was nothing about today that was not totally enjoyable.
    I had planned and booked this tour in December last year so it was way up there on our wish list of what to do in Alaska.
    Another stunner of a day so we were off to a flying start. We had a full boat with Neil an,d I Steve Ruth, a family of four ( two grandparents, a lad and mum), three older Americans, three photographers who were heading up to a cabin in the Tongass National Forrest for five days, two guides, Denny and Robert and Sylvia, the head chief and our jet boat driver.
    The journey up there and back was stunning, pristine untouched wilds. Sylvia stopped at various places where she or one of her guides would give us history/nature facts about the area we were travelling through. They were very knowledgeable about the area. It was interesting and often entertaining.
    Our nature spotting along the way - deer, harbour seals and a whale. I was too slow to get a photo of the whale but we saw several spouts and his tale as he went down and out of our sight.
    The trip was roughly one and a half hours each way.
    Read more