Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Petersburg

    August 16, 2017 ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Early to bed early to rise makes you healthy, wealthy and wise........ perhaps not. Anyways we arrived just before 4.30am and dragged our sorry selves a short distance to our BnB. As promised Sammy had gotten up and was sitting in her dressing gown in the kitchen awaiting our arrival. It was straight into our room and straight back to bed. Paying for the night before was a a sensible option (despite hoping the minimise costs), otherwise we would have been able to leave our bags, but, be wandering the town in the dark and the wet with nothing to do for the next 5 hours at least. That had not been an enticing idea. Up again at 8 we headed into the kitchen for a leisurely breakfast and chinwag with other guests and Sammy and Leroy, our hosts. Leroy is 81 and Sammy probably no a lot younger - a fair innings to be running a BnB.
    The Waterfront BnB as its name suggests is right on the waterfront behind the ferry jetty. Our room, at the front to the house, overlooks the water. The tides are amazing here. At low tide the rocks and weed extend almost out to the ferry jetty. The rock shelf must drop just past that point as the ferries seem to be able to come in on any tide but need to reverse out when the tide is low.
    The rain today was pretty consistent but with wet weather great donned and brollies up we headed into town.
    Petersburg is the town that fish built, a town of roughly 3,000 that swells to 5,500 during the salmon season. Itinerant workers come from all over the lower states to work in the town's 3 canneries. Of course to have fish enough to keep the canneries in business there is also a huge fishing fleet. Like Wrangell, Petersburg has said no to the larger cruise ships so the small town has retained its integrity as a working town. It certainly smells fishy wherever you walk once you enter the downtown area.
    Walked back into town in the evening for dinner at the Mexican shack.Yes, literally a small shack roughly built. No vegetarian options as such but the owner was happy to make vegetarian chimichangas for us and it was delicious.
    Read more