Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Another rainy day in Petersburg

    August 17, 2017 ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    The set time for breakfast is 8am. This morning we had one other guest us, Judy. Leroy joined us at the table and we had a funny conversation with him, politically incorrect perhaps but entertaining none the less. Leroy's terminologies are very outdated for our modern times, when it is best to err on the side of caution when speaking about peoples of different races. But nothing he said was said with malice and we certainly did not take any offence. And at 81 perhaps you should be able to speak your mind without others taking the moral high ground. Leroy is very tall and tends to walk with a lumbering limp. He could possibly have had polio when he was younger. When I envisage an Alaskan old timer, or sourdough, I think a similar image to that of Leroy would come to mind. A big man with a three day growth, jeans hitched with braces and a checked flannel shirt. His speech is a rumbly, relatively slow drawl.
    Well today it was pouring. I chose Petersburg so that we could do some hiking along the narrows and through the forests but this weather is best suited for ducks and bears so I chose a book from the small library in the lounge and we spent the morning in, just relaxing. And if relaxing it has to be our room or the lounge are nice places to be, looking out over the water watching the comings and goings of the Petersburg water traffic.
    We headed into town in the afternoon for another wander and to try the Salty Pantry. So glad we were told about this little gem - good vegetarian options but lousy coffee. It closes at 4.30pm so we had lunner (lunch/dinner).
    One of the older locals has an impressive collection of old fish can labels which a Norwegian company have copied and used the design to make bins for somewhere in Norway. The local
    I have not been able to take many photos over the last two days due to the inclement weather. Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow.
    Read more