Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Eastward Bound

    September 22, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Moving onwards and eastwards today. Bus, ferry and train. We have had a lovely stay in Victoria and staying in one place for a week has allowed me to recuperate from the flu and although we have walked many a kilometre Neil's bad leg seems to also be a little stronger.
    From Victoria we travelled by bus to Nanaimo, boarded the ferry, and, once back on the mainland we continued on to Vancouver by bus. Due to problems with the ferry before we commenced our journey we arrived in Vancouver a little later than expected but we had taken an earlier ferry than needed (just n case this sort of thing might happen) and were in plenty of time to make our train connection.
    Plenty of time in fact to check in our bags and head off to the Olympic Village to have dinner. I had found the name of a recommended bat/restaurant in a magazine that we had been given on the bus. It was close to the rail station and we needed to refuel so we decided to give it a try. The Olympic Village had been built in 2010 for the Winter Olympics and is now a lovely housing/recreation area at the top end of False Creek not far from the Science Centre. The Tap and Barrel did not disappoint. We arrived at Happy Hour so enjoyed a discounted snack and entree, The snack - deep fried pickles with a dill sauce. An interesting concept and neither of us much of a fan of the pickles you buy in Australia but they were delicious. Both of us very much enjoyed our mains as well so it was with content, full Ellie's that we left there and walked further along the creek path for our last moments in Vancouver.
    Back to the station we boarded our train for the 25 hour journey to Edmonton.
    Read more