Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Tracy Arm Glacier

    August 26, 2017 ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Stormy skies and showers greeted us this morning. We stayed relatively dry during the walk down to the harbour so all was good.
    The trip out to Tracy Arm Fjord was a three hour journey through heavy swells. The captain of the boat, a female, handled the trip with flying colours. The deck staff handled the growing number of sick stomachs with tender care.
    Once inside the fjord we saw our first icebergs. Bright blue and against the stormy skies they looked stunning. Continuing up the fjord we passed a massive waterfall with the captain bringing us right up close and personal to the water tumbling into the fjord, spray flying.
    Then the glaciers. It is hard to describe the impact that seeing these marvels of nature has on you. These were tidal glaciers and we were in the wilds witnessing these beauties. We were all in awe. The captain eased her way through the floating ice to bring us as close as she could to them. They towered above us. The second calved as we’re nearing it, the ice crashing into the water not metres from our boat.
    And to top off a magnificent day - we saw a pod of humpbacks breaching! No photos of them but the memory of the splendour of these giants is permanently etched on our brains.
    LOVE ALASKA!!!
    Read more