Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Alaska Zoo

    August 30, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Although our BnB is not that far from town it is uphill and we are trying to limit the distances that Neil walks at this stage. The bus stop is just around the corner so it was an easy decision on how to get into town to the tourist office to get our shuttle to the zoo.
    The zoo, the only zoo in Alaska, is located in the Anchorage Hills on the outskirts of town. It is not a large zoo and specialises mainly in Arctic and Alaskan animals. Most of the animals in the zoo have been injured in the wild or orphaned. The animals that remain in the zoo after treatment are those that can’t be returned to their native habitat. There were also a small handful of non native animals which were rescue animals - two of them my fave animals, the llama and the camel. The camels were Bactrian and I have never had the opportunity to see one before. The musk ox is an unusual looking animal and pretty cool. The porcupine was also really cute and the fellow they had, a real character. The moose proved to be elusive and I think that that might set the tone for us finding moose in the wild. They hid themselves right up the end of their enclosure.
    The zoo was a pleasant experience set on beautiful grounds and it was good to see many of the Alaskan animals on our bucket list that hopefully we will see out in the wild but also got the chance to see at close range.
    Back in town we had a mediocre meal at a Thai restaurant.
    Read more