Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Wandering in the rain

    September 1, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Rainy day in downtown Talkeetna. When planning the journey I chose for us to stay here because it is a tiny country town surrounded by lots of forest and river walks. On a clear day down by the convergence of the three rivers, the Susitna, the Chulitna and the Talkeetna you can purportedly get a beautiful view of Mount Denali.Today it’s been rainy on and off all day and very muddy under foot once you are out of the main stretch of town. What to do? You can’t choose the weather! Get out there and walk in it like a true Alaskan! No gumboots- a true Alaskan wears gumboots, everywhere! They are wet weather gear, formal attire, the go getting boot and too cool for school!
    Down by the rivers the scenery is beautiful, as everywhere you look in alaska, but the mountains are shrouded in mist and rain. The base of Denali looks amazing!
    We visited the local museum housed in the original school house and wandered. The old log cabins are cool.
    In the afternoon on Fridays the locals stage a concert, Live at Five. Sarah’s brother is in the band. We were enjoying it till the rain came down and it was time to call it a night.
    Read more