Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Sunny Day Hiking

    September 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Down to the market next door to grab our juices, yoghurt and granola for breakfast.
    It was windy and icy cold yesterday afternoon when we arrived but the sun was shining this morning and, although brisk, when out of the breeze and walking up hill and down dale it got warm. Due to it being a good day today and bad weather forecast for tomorrow we decided to hit the local hiking paths and make our way down to the Wilderness Access Centre for shuttle tickets to the Eielson Centre. I’ve been looking at the tickets on line and they are booking out fast. Today may have been a no go anyway.
    We followed the Nenana River South then went cross country to the Wilderness Centre for our shuttle tickets. Luckily we did not wish to go early as all those were sold out. With tickets in our grubby paws we headed out around Horseshoe Lake and on to the Denali Visitors Centre.
    We learned first hand today why there is a saying, busy as a beaver. On our way to the lake we came across an area where maybe twenty trees had been felled. These showed all the hallmarks of beaver activity. The lake was some distance off so what they intended to do with them only the beavers would know. There was a beaver dam across part of the lake. It’s amazing what they manage to do.
    Read more