Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 107

    Halifax to Port Hawkesbury

    November 10, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    It wasn’t raining up till about 10 minutes from our leaving our AirBnB then down she came. We arrived at the Scotia Centre resembling drowned rats. With the forms signed on the dotted line, we were heading out of Halifax and heading south east.
    Once out of Dartmouth civilisation slowly disappeared and we drove along a wild, grey coastline. It would be stunning in sunshine. Today we were not having one of those days and the beaches were wild and desolate but so beautiful.
    The road was not a major route and late in the afternoon we needed to get a ferry across a river, The ferryman was heading in the opposite direction, possibly home for dinner when our car and two others arrived. He changed his course and came back to us which was really great and in less than no time we were over the river and travelling on.
    It is now out of season and many, no most accommodations are closed. It was quite a drive and getting later by the minute but finally we reached Port Hawkesbury, a sizeable town just over the causeway on Cape Breton and a town with open motels. Pricier than I hoped but where we stayed had a restaurant /bar that was still serving and we were famished (nothing since breakfast).
    Read more