Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 141

    New York to Washington

    December 14, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    Last night I had arranged with Ella to drop us off at the station but she insisted on taking us down to the ferry terminal. Overnight we had more snow, not a heavy amount but enough to cover the round again. We left giving ourselves an hour to get to the terminal. Everything was going smoothly until we encountered a traffic jam within half a kilometre of the terminal. No-one was going anywhere fast. Ella took off round a corner and up a hill then informed us that she had never driven in this area as this was in the ‘dark side’. It did seem logical that if we travelled round the block we would end up heading back to where we wanted to go. However, going round the block wasn’t possible because of the narrow one way streets. Long story short - after heading in the opposite direction and a wrong turn we did make it to the terminal in the nick of time. Quick farewells, a mad dash through the terminal, a stop to allow the sniffer dogs to do their job on our bags and more running. We slid in to the back of the line as the final passengers were boarding and the gates about to close.
    No more dramas. Subway to Penn, lunch at Pret a Manger and a short wait for our train.
    Once in Washington we had dinner at the station before getting a cab to the apartment as we were not going to be able to do a grocery shop tonight - too late.
    Despite using google maps to direct him to our address the cabbie dropped us off at the wrong address. Of course we didn’t realise this and the house we were dropped at had a lock box for the key as ours was to have. I guess in a way it was lucky the code didn’t work or we could have been making ourselves at home in someone else’s home. A call to our host, Colleen, and she quickly realised we were a street down and came round the corner to meet us and direct us to where we were supposed to be.
    We have the downstairs section of Colleen’s terrace - one bedroom, lounge room, dining room, bathroom and kitchen/laundry, tastefully decorated and comfy.
    Read more