Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 164

    Jeanne D'Arc Parade and Bourbon Street

    January 6, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    After the museum we went back to our apartment and cooked up a local dish - vegetarian dirty rice with spicy red beans. Yummmm! This is a dish we will cook again at home - very similar to risotto in texture and with the cajun spices it is very tasty. Bellies full we headed out to Decatur Street to join in the night’s celebrations.
    Thought we were going to miss the Jeanne d’Arc Parade because as we were walking along Decatur crowds were leaving the area. We continued along towards Jackson Square and as luck would have it we were in the right spot at the right time as the parade was just coming back into the area to complete their circuit. Unfortunately the street lighting was poor and my photos do not do it justice . However, it was great to see. A lot of effort and time had gone into the majority of the costumes.
    From here we slowly ambled with the crowds to Bourbon Street. What a night was had by all. The atmosphere was vibrant, the crowds were hectic, and the music highly enjoyable. Even had a little dance with the singer of the first Jazz Band as he came around with the tip jar! And in amongst the hedonistic partying - a fanatic ranting about the evils of all the happenings in Bourbon Street.
    Note to self - if tonight is anything to go on, have to come back for the Mardi Gras Parade itself one year.
    Read more