Satellite
  • Day 174

    Alkatraz- The Infamous Rock

    January 16, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    The Alcatraz Cruise can be booked a long time in Advance. Knowing that we booked last Thursday. It was fully booked til Monday and as it was predicted to rain yesterday (Monday) we booked for today. Yesterday was a sunny day and today - foggy. Once we were over there we realised that we probably had the ideal day to see the island.
    It is not a warm, fuzzy place - it is a dismal, harsh environment, a gaol for the worst of the worst. Seen on a foggy day in winter, when it wasn’t really all that cold but was dank and damp, was an ideal type of day to there.
    Before we headed out to the island we partook in the mandatory cortado at Ferry Market to get us going then walked to Pier 33. We arrived early and as the excursion before us was not booked out we were able to go over earlier. For the cell block itself you receive audio 🎧s. Once completed you are free to wander the grounds outside, the parade ground, the guard and their families accommodation, the morgue and the agave walk.
    It was drizzling as we waited for the return to the mainland. I think it was an audible en masse sigh of relief as we all boarded the vessel. We had that option, a choice to leave. Unlike the inmates who suffered for their crimes a harsh, boring existence where even time in the exercise yard was a privilege that had to be earned.
    Back on mainland we returned to Ferry Market and had curry clam and corn chowder. Delicious!
    Read more