Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 175

    Last Day In The Lower 48 - The Mission

    January 17, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Our last day in the Lower 48. Our last day on the American continent. Tomorrow morning we fly west to Honolulu. We are on the final days of our journey.
    Today we decided to see an area not too far from us, The Mission. Touted as perhaps San Francisco’s most of-the-moment neighbourhood, it is the new trendy place for the hipsters and is also Cisco’s oldest neighbourhood.
    It gains its name from The Mission Dolores, an 18th century mission established by the Spanish and one of the city’s oldest icons. Down the road a bit is Mission Delores Park. A beautiful green space with a great playground for the small ones, tennis courts, a playing field and a large lawned are for just lazing around or picnicking. Positioned on the side of a hill the park has views to downtown. I think that perhaps on a clear day you may even be able to see the waters of the bay but I can’t be quoted on that one.
    Across the road from the park is Mission High School, high school of Carlos Santana - information given to us by a local painter we got chatting to in the park (I googled it and it was).
    from there we walked downhill to Valencia Street, the main drag for the ‘trendsetting boutiques and restaurants. There certainly were some nice boutiques and restaurants and a good selection of vegetarian options in a relatively small area (a rare find).
    The neighbourhood is also famed for its outdoor murals.
    Read more