Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 170

    A Loong Walk - Golden Gate and Beyond

    January 12, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    The title says it all. Today we walked and walked and walked. And once we had done that we walked some more.
    But first things first - two bus rides got us to the Visitors’ Centre at The Golden Gate Bridge, a coffee got the heart beats revving and were ready to go. The walk over and back on the bridge was windy and a bit on the chilly side but spectacular. The bridge is most certainly a masterpiece of engineering and the views stunning.
    While we were on the bridge we saw two kayakers in difficulty. They were in an extremely strong current running out of the bay towards the ocean and one had tipped off. When we last saw them, as they were whipped under the bridge out of our sight he had been unable to get back on. Each time he’d lift himself the wind would take hold of the kayak and flip it. There were sailing boats in the area and a fishing boat motored under the bridge not long after so hopefully they were rescued. We were unable to see any further.
    From the bridge we walked the length of Chrissy Field, through Marina and past Fort Mason to the Aquatic Park. Quite a walk! A looong one, a beautiful one and interesting. A good day!
    Once we were near Fishermans Wharf we caught a street car down to Ferry Market for a cortado then a bus home.
    Read more