Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Salt Lake City, utah

    April 13, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Weather: Sunny and 40s
    States: Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah
    Miles: 935
    Hours: 13 hrs and 25 min
    Capitals:
    Restaurant: Coyote Creek
    Hotel/Home: Residence Inn SLC
    Movies:
    Audible: A Phone call from Heaven by Mitch Albom (finally over)

    We began the day with our daily Marriott breakfast bar. Pretty much what we do on our road trips. Big money saver to get a free breakfast at Fairfield’s, Springhill Suites and Residence Inns. At breakfast, we met a nice family from South Dakota. After Paul chatted and kept running into the man, Randy, they decided to exchange cards. Fate was telling them to connect. Then we hit the road.

    We are now headed on the long road to Salt Lake City. We have been there already and really enjoyed our stay. We swam in the Great Salt Lake, went to Snowbird, visited the site of the Winter Olympics, and hiked Ensign Park. (Visit our trip to the Northwest on this blog.) Nebraska is really cornfield America. We have a 13 hour drive ahead of us but this will be our longest day. It is really not that bad. It is an adventure and a practice of patience in a world of instant gratification. Our kids keep asking us how long the drive will be. The longer the better. Weird. They like the long ones. I’m not sure why.

    We purchased a discounted year subscription to Audible which allows us to redeem 12 books anytime. If you pay for a monthly subscription, you get one credit each month (and have to purchase books after that). We rented Mitch Albums book The First Phone Call from Heaven. It is ok. We don’t love it. It is a little slow. Or his reading is.

    Oh my gosh! We stopped for gas and bathroom stop in the middle of Nebraska. I just freaked myself out. I walked out of the building and stopped in my tracks in a slight panic. The gas pumps were gone. I was all alone. I slowly walked along the building hoping I would find my family and the car around the corner. Whew! I had walked out of the opposite side of the building. I wasn’t alone. Listen, when your mind thinks you should be in one place and then you aren’t....twilight zone. Especially in the cornfields of Nebraska. Makes me cute?

    As we drove further into Nebraska, we can see signs of Spring storm Wes. The roads were dry and clear. We saw more and more snow toward the middle of the state but thawing quickly sat 41 degrees. I am just glad the roads are clear, the sky is blue and the sun is shining.

    We hit some weather in Wyoming. Just some snow squalls through the mountains but quick, thank goodness. Most of the way through Wyoming has been clear roads, partly cloudy and chilly but we are in the car so we don’t care. It is crazy how much the landscape changes.The rock formations that look like they have been intentionally carved to look alike but impossible to duplicate. It is truly awe inspiring. Now we are going to stop in a small town Rock Springs for dinner. Looong day.

    We ate at a restaurant in an old part of Rock Springs called Coyote Creek. It was actually a pretty nice restaurant. If it weren’t for being in Wyoming, I’d say we were underdressed. Aint nobody dress up in these parts. We had a nice meal and headed to Salt Lake City for the night. 2 1/2 hour drive. We have been graced with a gorgeous sunset over the bluffs. Now we just need to stay awake for a couple more hours. Unless something else comes up before we get to SLC, I’m out. See you tomorrow.
    See more pix below.
    Read more