Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Big Sur

    April 17, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We passed through Big Sur which was beautiful. More winding roads and campgrounds and beautiful views. We needed gas. No, we weren’t on empty. We stopped for gas that was more than $6.00 a gallon. WTFuel?! Needless to say, we only purchased 3 gallons.

    There is a good chance that we are going to cut in to an inland freeway to pick up time and have a little more relaxed drive. It is tiring driving these winding roads. Paul was trying to throw rocks over a cliff with Elizabeth and Matthew. He was terrified they were going to fall off. “Matthew!” “What?” “Do you have to grab a rock off the side of the cliff?” Grrrr. On we go.

    WE CAN’T GET OFF HIGHWAY 1. HELP! It is exhausting driving the turns and it takes forever. It is beautiful but a long way. We found a route inland. Just before the turnoff was another pull-off with tons of people. We glance at the beach and there are hundreds of Sea Lions or Sea Elephants or whatever. They look like rocks on the beach. I told the kids to get out of the car, they have never seen anything like it. Both Matt and Biddy thought they were rocks. Ben was sleeping. Maybe a quarter of a mile of these beasts. So cool. That made the last part of highway 1 worth it before we got off.

    We started out around 9:30 and we don’t expect to get into LA until 7:30. It has been a nice day, but when you’ve had enough, you’ve had enough. I was getting car sick too. We are meeting Cody, my nephew in LA tonight. He is coming up from San Diego and spending a couple of days with us. Yay. Two nights in LA will be nice. We don’t have to pack up
    Read more