Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Glastonbury and Wells

    May 3, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    Road trip today. We had a quick stop at Cheddar Gorge. We then visited the mystical town of Glastonbury to see the ruins of the Glastonbury Abbey, one of the earliest Christian sites in England. The Reformation period evidently left lots of vestiges across the land. This abbey is also the legendary resting place of King Arthur and Genevieve. I guess monks in the 12th century claimed to have discovered the grave…LOL! Jamie, our guide, furnished a picnic on the abbey grounds where we sampled English hard cider, Scotch eggs, sausage pies, a selection of cheddar and French cheeses and an English dessert called Victoria sponge cake which was truly fabulous. The Scotch egg and sausage pie were on my list to try. Basically it’s a boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat, covered in bread crumbs and deep fried. It’s like a national dish of Great Britain. Glad I didn’t order either of them in a restaurant!

    Next we drove to the smallest city in England with a population of 12,000. It has always been considered a city because it has a cathedral. The Wells Cathedral, built 850 years ago, is quite impressive and Prince Charles’ favorite. I really liked it, too. The nave is very different and actually has a modern look with its scissored arches and open circles that look like owl eyes.

    Rebecca and I went to the Royal Theater this evening to see Crazy for You, a musical with Gershwin music…very enjoyable. We’re leaving Bath tomorrow morning and heading to the Cotswolds.
    Read more