Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    London

    May 12, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Our group caught the train to London where we’re staying at the Mayfair Hotel which is a 5 star with elevators! No more trudging up with luggage to the 2nd and 3rd floor! All I can say is that a 5 star bathroom is over the top!

    We took a tour of Westminster Abbey. The current one was built between 1245 and 1272. There was 1 1/2 hours of fascinating stories…too many to remember. There are a lot of unsavory stories of the royalty through the ages.

    Entombed within the walls and even beneath the floor are thousands of bodies! I think that there are about 3,200 people buried in there. Many famous people in history, like Charles Dickens, Sir Isaac Newton, and Charles Darwin. Stephen Hawking is the most recent, I believe…even though he’s an atheist. It is also the final resting place of 17 kings and queens. The grave of the Unknown Warrior, is in the center of the nave, and no one walks on that grave which contains the remains of several unknown soldiers brought back from Flanders in World War I. The first king crowned there was in 1066…King Harold II. We learned that Prince Charles has selected the name King George VI for himself if and when he becomes king.

    Enough history! Wendy, Rebecca, and I attended “Come from Away” at the London theater tonight. It was a heartwarming, feel good musical and a perfect way to spend the first night in London.
    Read more