Satellite
  • Day 20

    Glasgow

    May 18, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    We caught the train to Glasgow today and walked around the area of our hotel, the Adobe. We had a very nice lunch at the Mackintosh at the Willow, a tearoom. This tearoom was designed by Charles Ronnie Mackintosh, a famous architect and artist in the early 20th century and it has recently been restored to how it would have looked back in 1903.

    The city is crazy today because of a big soccer game between Glasgow Rangers and a team from Germany. Nigel decided to take us on the subway to our restaurant because it was supposed to be only one stop, but we took the wrong direction and ended up going all the way to the end and then going back in the right direction. Crowded is an understatement. We were like squashed sardines in a can. I had 3 very happy inebriated Glasgow Ranger fans against me, and the only way I could stand up was to wrap my arms around Rebecca’s waist! I just prayed that they wouldn’t get sick on me.

    Our group dinner was at Mharsanta which was an adventure for me…too far out there for my taste. I tried the lamb, but it was quite rare. I did enjoy the tomato basil soup and the sticky toffee cake dessert! Glad my lunch was fantastic!

    Police boxes were all over Scotland at one time. A policeman would be stationed there to keep watch over the neighborhood area.
    Read more