Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    On the way to Dunkeld

    May 26, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    Our day started at a sheep farm. Neil Ross (a shepherd) and his family work on part of a 11,000 acres estate for a laird (lord). Since the laird owns the land, the farmers are not allowed to hunt or shoot anything. However, the laird never goes out on Sunday mornings! It was such fun watching the dogs herding the sheep…quite mesmerizing. There were 4 week old puppies and a few baby lambs, too. We also learned a little about Scotland’s wool industry. The majority of sheep in Scotland are raised for meat not the wool. The wool is not the best and the market for it no longer profitable. In fact, no wool is produced in Scotland at this time.

    We shared a lunch together at Rowan Tree and had Scotch broth with mutton in it. Ok, I opted for the vegetarian version! We also had wee lesson on how to make scones. They were delicious, and we were given the recipe.

    Funny story with the next stop at Killiecrankie. Donald McBane, a Scottish government soldier, was running away from the Jacobites after a battle in 1689. He turned back and saw a lot of kilt-dressed Jacobites chasing him. Kilts are 8 yards of material and most of the men tripped on their kilts and ended up running naked. Poor Donald McBane was so afraid that he made a spectacular jump 18 ft across the gorge of the River Garry to freedom to escape.

    A quick stop at Pitlochry where we did a little shopping and an ice cream cone. Then off to Dunkeld for the next two nights. It’s a charming village on River Tay with a cathedral in ruins that was built from 1260 to 1501. The village had been destroyed in 1689 in a battle between the Jacobites and government troops. Most of the original village was rebuilt in the 18th century.
    We are staying at the beautiful Dunkeld House Hotel which is a former hunting lodge for the Duke of Atholl and was built in 1900. It’s like stepping back in time. We were greeted with a dram of sherry or whisky. Rebecca and I took a riverside walk and admired the beauty of the grounds and hotel. Dinner here was exceptional tonight.

    Oh, our evening ended with Gillie, a delightful woman who has been playing the bagpipes for 50 years.
    Read more