Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Dunkeld and Aberfeldy

    May 27, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    Sad news today…April and her mom, Susan, have left the tour after testing positive this morning. We’re down to 14 with 3 days left on the tour.

    We took a quiet woodland walk to the Black Linn Falls in Dunkeld. Redwoods and sequoyas have been introduced here and are doing great. First time seeing either of them. Probably my favorite activity today.

    Then, we were off to Kenmore to visit the Scottish Crannog Centre this morning. Crannogs are circular houses on stilts and there is evidence of them back to 500 years before Christ. During the time of the Iron Age people lived on little round islands. Scientists have found evidence of 18 crannogs on Loch Tay. The tour at the center took us back in time as guides dressed in prehistoric clothes showed us life during the Iron Age. Very interesting tour, but the replica crannog had burned down recently.

    Interesting thing about Kenmore. There is a castle there that George Clooney has purchased and plans to turn into an luxury hotel for the rich. There’s a golf course next to it, too. He has also bought all the buildings except for 1 private building in the town of Kenmore. The residents aren’t very happy because their way of life is being destroyed. The community center is closed and so is the post office.

    Our last visit today was at Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery founded by John Dewar in 1898. We had a tour and a dram of Dewar’s blended whiskey and Dewar’s Aberfeldy Single Malt whiskey. If you don’t like whiskey, they suggest trying the Aberfeldy. If you don’t like it, then you will never like any whiskey. Well, I disliked both so I’ll stick with Coca-cola! Dewar’s is now owned by Bacardi, who makes rum.

    We had fine dining at the hotel again with the added treat of a wedding reception happening right outside the window. It was such fun seeing how all the guests were dressed…very classy!
    Read more