Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Laidback Novigrad

    June 1, 2017 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Novigrad (or New Town), like many of the Croatian towns along the coast, is centred on a peninsula surrounded by the sea on three sides. Or maybe it was an island just off shore originally which has since been joined seamlessly to the mainland.

    The old town is a warren of little streets within what would have been a walled town. Remnants of the wall still exist in parts, some subsumed into newer buildings like the Hotel Citar.

    Whilst it's smaller than the likes of Porec or Rovinj, it may be overlooked as a destination. However, it should not be: it has great restaurants, great seafood, cafes, an excellent wine bar or two and has great sunsets on the western side where you can sit having dinner or a drink to enjoy. Best of all, it's all very laid back, no urgency and there's a chance to engage with the friendly locals more.

    There are a number of hotels here but if you want something different and that little more space, I would highly recommend the Aminess Holiday Homes situated in the camping grounds. Each of the prestige options sit on a manicured green area separated from the generally camping and all have access to little swimming pools dotted around the houses.

    Along the 10 min walk into town, there are great swimming spots including walkways leading you into the sea.
    Read more