Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Grutas de Tolantongo, Hidalgo, Mexico

    January 1, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Grutas Tolantongo are a collection of hot spring pools built into a cliff in the semi desert of Mezquital valley in Hidalgo, Mexico.The pools are filled with warm water which is full of salts and minerals. The water is heated by the surrounding volcanic mountains but cold water is mixed into it before the resort supplies it to the pools. Hence, the water is lukewarm.Some of the pools have small springs of hot warm water falling into them under which you can go and take a splash of water. It was surreal to just lie in pool of warm water while overlooking the canyon. An experience like no other.

    Also, there are caves and a tunnels to explore, a hot spring river to swim in, and a pool with a waterslide. The river isn't much deep at any point, maximum depth would be 5 feet. The water inside the tunnel is slightly warmer than the tepid one in pools. Inside the tunnel the warm water drips and sprays out from the walls and ceiling thus showering us while we walked towards the small pool at the end of tunnel. All these sites - the Pools, river, pozitas (smaller pools), the waterfall and the cave (gruta) are in tolantongo but not nearby. There is a considerable distance between each of the sites. Like, it takes around 25 minutes by walk to go from pools to the river. So because of this distance and the size of the whole park, there is an insane number of stairs that one had to frequent up an down to go to these sites. It's beautiful but definitely tiring!
    Read more