Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    KLCC Lake Symphony at Petronas

    February 15, 2019 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    We spent our second and last night in KL visiting the Petronas Towers, which are not only very impressive in person, but also have a mini-lake at the base, where a pretty cool automated water, light and music show runs every night. By this time, we had figured out how to use the free city centre shuttles and managed to get out to KLCC with little trouble - much crowding though, of course.

    The Towers themselves are quite hard to photograph, as there are these giant spotlights pointing downward, which detrimentally impact any attempts to take full-length photos. In the end we could only think to avoid these by taking full length photos of a single tower and photos of the two towers and adjoining bridge had to start above the spotlights. A bit of a pain, but on the other hand, this setup did provide an opportunity for industrious touts to sell special camera lenses that would help compensate for the lighting and height of the Petronas - go innovation and entrepreneurship! Poppy was actually thinking of getting one!

    The Lake Symphony offers a quite impressive and chilled out light show, whereby fountain jets in the lake lit by varying colours perform automated, pre-choreographed sequences synchronized to music. Different songs run every 30 minutes from sundown to midnight or so, and even during the 5-10 minute intermissions the lake is bedecked in multi-coloured lights for the enjoyment of viewers. Davy was so mesmerized that he even forgot to take photos - he wanted to stay for a fourth show but we had to cut him off for bedtime at a certain point.
    Read more