Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Greenland Being Fun Plaza

    February 18, 2019 in China ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    It was absolutely pouring today, on Poppy’s first day back at work, so Mommy and the kids decided to explore the local area just a tiny bit. We discovered on Google Maps a Tesco’s a few subway stops away and were going to check it out. However, due to heavier than expected rainfall, Davy wisely suggested that we try to find what we needed at the mall by the subway station before actually going in.

    So the “mall” by Zhongke subway really is called Greenland Being Fun Plaza - classic bizarro Chinglish name! It is however not apparently all that fun. It is a weird mix of overpriced and hence empty restaurants (I mean it is located right next to a uni campus and so they should have thought to cater to student salaries), one Carrefour-like convenience store (it was Davy who noticed the use of the same logo with different colours), a pharmacy that only sells cosmetics and a couple of cafes.

    At this festive time of year, Greenland is guarded by a giant pink Christmas (?) tree by the entranceway and was strangely deserted given its proximity to a student population. Anyhow, hope that they figure out how to reshape their offerings to better suit the target clientele - we managed to find a little bit of roast duck and pork, which was all that the kids wanted, and a loaf of bread for Poppy. Enough to enable us to head back home and out of the rain.
    Read more