Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    El Chalten

    March 15, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    This has been one of our favourite stops so far! Driving from El calafete we had the company of our Belgian friend Augustin again. First port of call was the parque national los glaciares visitor centre to meet the ranger. Luck was on our side that we had the perfect weather window to start our 66km huemul circuit the very next day! We set off on the 4 day, 3 night circuit with our o trek Aussie friends Ingrid and Rohan. The hike involved crossing two rivers by self guided zipline, transversing a glacier to access a snowy mountain pass and incredible views of the southern Patagonian ice fields. It has been our hardest trek yet with tough navigation and a harsh steep descend that involved some rock climbing. Coming into camp on paddy's day, Joe spotted an Irish flag and we gained two new friends Seamus and Triona from Kerry who joined us back in El chalten for happy hour to catch up on the results of the Ireland's six nations grand slam win along with the Ozzie's and Alex the Brazilian alpinist. While we all had planned a rest day to follow, the weather was too perfect to pass up on the opportunity to see the Fitz Roy sunrise at Laguna des los tres. We followed the huemul circuit by another 3 night, 4 day hike around Fitz Roy and Cerro Torres. In total we completed 110km in 8 days. A special highlight was spotting two wild pumas in the forest.
    We finished off our time in El chalten with a free concert to celebrate the fiesta nacional del trekking. We now head north with some local recommendations from argentinian Estefi.

    El Chalten Recs:
    Outdoor drinks in the sun and tapas style food at La vineria.
    Empanadas at la Nieve Cafe
    Happy hour at Fresco bar
    Pastries at Lo De Haydee Panaderia

    Paid campsites: Camping el Relincho in town
    Piedra del Fraile north El chalten trail

    Free: campervan parking beside bus station and across from visitor centre
    All campsites on huemul circuit
    Poincenot and L'agostini near Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre
    *Some mice friends: Hang up food and bags at park trail campsites

    15/03- 25/03
    Read more