Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Zagreb Croatia

    March 26 in Croatia ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    A lovely day. Walked to train station to check our depart time tomorrow and then on to main square to meet Eva our tour guide for the next 2.5 hours. We had a fabulous tour with so many interesting insights to this lovely city. The cathedral, Dolac market and its history, the upper town and beautiful St Mark's Church, flanked by Parliament buildings and the shrine where people give thanks by way of wall plaques to The Virgin Mary, for prayers answered. In a fire during the early 1300's, the portrait of Mary survived unscathed as surrounding wood buildings perished.
    From there it was on to the tower where a Canon is fired every day at noon. We were warned it was loud - ears were ringing at 130 decibels!! And then down the shortest funicular to walk some of the underground tunnels built as shelter for thousands during air raids in 1944. Note how spotless they are - they are swept every day!
    Our final stop - sampling of Slivovitch. That's a form of brandy, in many flavours - plum, fig, mistletoe and more.
    Apres tour we opted for a long coffee break in the square, people watching. Then back to lodgings via the bakery to relax and prepare for tomorrow's early start.
    Read more