Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Perast & Kotor,Montenegro

    April 4 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Passports at the ready and up at dawn for 0710 pickup at the bus stop. Montenegro here we come!
    It's about a 2 hr drive including possible delays at the border. Apparently the Albanians cause the longest delays as they either have no paperwork or are smuggling!
    We were in a mini shuttle for 20 so could go thru the small border crossing without delays; in the summer they can be stuck for hours!
    Lovely scenic drive to Perast with very interesting commentary from our driver on culture, war, economy. Luka was fluent in English and quite the history buff. Perast is notable for a man-made island (made in 15th C according to legend) home to the church - Our Lady of the Rock. Short boat crossing and visit plus a bit of free time in the village before heading on to the town of Kotor - mini version of Dubrovnik.
    Lovely old city and interesting walking tour. We tried to walk the city walls but came to a dead end so headed down for a leisurely lunch - lovely arugula salad with local cheese and blueberries. Note - many cats here and even a cat museum!
    Kotor and Perast are situated inland but are still accessible by fjord-like stretches of the Adriatic. A yachter:s haven! The scenery was lovely and all with the backdrop of severe grey mountains. Montenegro means black mountain.
    The war still affects both countries - people fled, understandably - and made new lives in other countries. Very few return to endure the toil of rebuilding and tending vines and olive trees for little return.
    Read more