Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Visiting Gerhard in Waiblingen

    September 30, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Yesterday we flew to Munich, rented a car and drove to a suburb of Stuttgart to spend a few days with an old friend! Gerhard and Davor met when they were students at the Technical University of Munich in 1974! I first met Gerhard and his wife when we moved to Munich in Dec 1979. We really hit it off and have remained close friends. Unfortunately Gerhard’s wife, Heike, had a brain tumor and slowly went downhill for 13 yrs. She died almost 10 years ago. It’s always sweet for the 3 of us to come together and reminisce about Heike and the times we shared and I think it’s comforting for Gerhard too.
    The first pic is Davor and Gerhard! He lives in an apt near downtown so we walked down to the market this morning. Pics 2-6 are pics downtown. The next 3 are of the old city wall.
    In the afternoon we went to a nearby village where Gerhard and Heike used to live. Their house was on the edge of a vineyard where we would often walk. So the 3 of us did that today! The grapes are ripe, and some have already been picked. There was an art exhibit in the middle of the vineyard! The first pic of the 5 women is called “The Women of Persil”. Persil is a detergent, that’s why their collars are so white. The second art pic is of heads made out of plaster by high school students!
    At the edge of the vineyard was a beer garden so we stopped for some food and a beer!

    Highlight of the day: the joy of being with an old friend!
    Read more