Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24–34

    Waitangi, NZ

    February 1 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    First day in New Zealand after a long sea voyage from French Polynesia!

    We tendered at the town of Waitangi and enjoyed an early morning stroll to the town of Paihia. Took in its farmers market sampling local Manuka Honey. Walked through the lovely small town that's a local vacation site.

    We then jumped onto our Bay of Islands tour with a stop at the Hundertwasser Toilets in Kawakawa. It's the loo that brought the town national fame because it was designed by the Austian artist Friendersreich Hundertwasser. So after a 10 minute pit stop, we drove to Kerkeri, where we stopped at Rainbow Waterfalls overlook before we proceeded to the 1822 Stone Store and Kemp House.
    One of the first places where Maori invited "Pakeha" (White New Zealanders) to live amongst them.

    We then went on our own to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and Museum, where we learned about the Maori, Maori wars, and the Waitangi Treaty that was signed on Feb. 6th, 1840, between the British Crown and 540 Maori Rangatira (chiefs) to ensure that they could live in peace and be protected with citizen equality.

    We ended the day with a beautiful South Pacific sunset, and we're entertained by two fabulous Tenors singing both classical and current hits.
    Read more