Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Auckland, Day 3

    February 4 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    Day 3 in Auckland, and we decided to venture out in different directions.

    Auckland is famously known as the City of Sails, and we can easily see why the America's Cup race was hosted here in the past. So when Morris saw that he could book an excursion on a real racing yacht, he jumped on the opportunity.

    It was a perfect day on the water as we boarded the actual 1996 Cup racing yacht! It was 75 ft. long x 16 ft. wide and about 150 ft high. What surprised me is that it weighs a total of 24 tons - 4 tons above the water and 20 tons at the canting keel. While it is considered a dinosaur by today's racing standards, it glided through the water like an ice skater. We all got a chance to try our hand at racing.
    In the afternoon, Morris took a cruise on a vintage barge that was reconstructed by the Maritime Museum.

    Susan chose to explore the local farm to table excursion in the area. Our host took us to a local market and then her home/venue as she prepared a lovely meal from all the local food and wine in the region.

    Met up w Morris to experience "Giapo" where Art meets Ice Cream. Super fun place with amazing flavors and over the top cones. Opted for the amazing flavors over an art deco cone. Of all the ice creams we've tried over time, this place tops them all (and that's saying a lot).
    Read more