Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Komodo National Park, Rinca Island

    February 29 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    Are dragons real? Seems like a simple question. One that made us think twice after a wonderful lecture before we docked.

    If you say they are real, then you probably enjoyed seeing them in Game of Thrones, The Hobbit, and the Harry Potter Series. BTW, the motto of Hogwart is Draco Dormies Nunquam Titillandus (Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon).

    If you say they are not real, then how do you explain various stories of dragons around the world (especially in China where they see dragons as good luck). What about several mentions of dragons in the Bible (i.e.-Nevi'im 27:1 or Ketuvim 74:12-14).

    As we sailed into Indonesia and the Komodo National Park, we are in search of the true dragons of our time. We are reminded that while today's Komodo Dragon's can be up to 10 feet long, their ancestors were 21+ feet in length and weigh over a ton. They can smell blood from miles away (so stay away if you are bleeding), and can kill and tear apart animals that are much larger, like a water buffalo.

    By contrast, we were amazed at how peaceful this area looks. The islands are like soft rolling mounds of lush green amid turquoise waters. The National Park spans 670 sq. miles, 26 small islands, and 3 larger islands Padar, Komodo, and Rinca.

    We met our park rangers on Rinca Island, and he stayed with us on the boardwalks over the Komodo Dragon area. Komodo Dragon's are the largest moniter lizard on land and can weigh up to 150+ lbs. He also said that the younger dragons can climb trees and boardwalks, so to watch our step.

    It got very hot close to noon, and we we were lucky to see the young ones as well as the older dragons in the wild. Amazing ancient creatures.

    Beautiful full moon as we sailed on to the islands of Bali and Java.
    Read more