Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    Colombo, Sri Lanka Day 2

    March 25 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☀️ 93 °F

    As opposed to the heavy rain we had yesterday, today is a bright sunny day, and we are ready to hit the town. Started out with a Tuk Tuk ride that quickly turned into a day of touring with "Kevin," our driver/guide.

    He took us to learn about tea, and we sampled 5 different teas. Being coffee drinkers, we learned so much about teas and how Sri Lanka became such an important tea hub to the world (and how it played into the Opium Wars in China).

    We then went to see a Buddist Temple, the Red Mosque, and Independence Square before stopping at a local Curry restaurant for lunch.

    Since today was a holiday, the Elephant Sanctuary that cares for Orphaned Asian Elephants had brought them to town for the celebration and had them at the local park for us to interact with. What a treat to see the elephants up close.

    Our final stop was to a very nice shopping mall to pick up flowers for Josh and Robin's anniversary dinner party tomorrow on the ship. What an adventure bringing them back w us on the TukTuk.

    BTW, in the group photo, we're wearing the shirts we had made in Vietnam!
    Read more