Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 88

    Salerno/Ravello/Priano (Amalfi Coast)

    5. april, Italien ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    From Caserta Palace, we drove south and spent the night in Salerno, the start of the Amalfi Coast.

    After exploring the town and its castle on the hill, we drove west to Ravello because we were advised that it's a great place for lunch. WHAT an understatement!

    Excelent lunch and billion dollar view

    We then drove further west to check into our hotel in Priano. That sounds so ho-hum, BUT did I mention that this is the Amalfi Coast?

    Please allow me to break that sentence down. "We then drove" - our first rookie mistake. Driving on the Amalfi Coast is an act of danger and adventure at the same time. I could call the streets narrow, but a better way to put it is that I've readjusted my definition of a close call from a few inches to a few centimeters. On a road that can barely support one lane of cars, there are large vans and busses driving towards you, double parkers everywhere, Italians driving scooters zipping everywhere, and people crossing the street around blind curves. My knuckles were white.

    "Checked into our hotel in Priano." To check into a hotel sounds simple, but there are multiple steps required. First, you need to find the hotel, and we drove through town twice because there was no way to stop or make a U turn. Then you have to park, find the hotel lobby, and check in. We double parked (like a true Italian), and Morris finally found the hotel hidden down 200 stairs on the "hill" while Susan watched the car and luggage. Heck of an experience, but what a gorgeous view.

    The stairs definitely gave us a workout, but that won't stop us from returning to this beautiful place ... but without the car 🚗.
    Læs mere