Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 108

    Beaune, France

    April 25 in France ⋅ ☁️ 52 °F

    If nearby Dijon is the French capital city of mustard, then Beaune is undoubtedly the French capital city of wine. As we entered town, the grapevines were even planted in the roundabouts!

    Beaune is a beautiful walled medieval town built between the 13th and 15th centuries with timber framed buildings and cobblestones steets that make you feel like you stepped back in time.

    We stopped at Bouchard Aine & Fils Winery, a 1750 Château for a wonderful tour and wine tasting. They took us through the 5 senses of a wine experience: Hearing, Sight, Smell, Taste, Touch with each room allowing us an experience and better understanding of wine tasting. Our favorite was the smell room (:, where we smelled different aromas and compared to the wine we were drinking.

    The highlight of Beaune, besides wine, was The Hospices de Beaune (Hôtel-Dieu). Nicolas Rolin, Chancellor to Duke of Burgundy, and his wife, Guigone de Salins, founded it in 1443. The Hundred Years’ War was ending, and Burgundy was reeling from plague. This hospital served everyone in the region, regardless of their financial means, from 1443 through the 1960s. Its flamboyant Gothic-style architecture and bright multicolored patterned roofs are a sight to see. In the group we are traveling with, there are 6 nurses, so it was a treat to experience the medevial hospital together.

    The Nuns were carefully selected to take care of both spiritual and physical needs. They took care of the sick and performed all the functions within the hospital. Various rooms had beds, chapel, pharmacy, kitchen, and laundry. Unbelievable setup for medieval times.

    Finished off the day with dinner of the famous Beef Bourguignon.
    Read more