Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 110

    PARIS

    27. April in Frankreich ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    Paris - city of love and Morris' birthplace.

    4.26
    After being on a bus for the last 2 weeks, we arrive in Paris and sadly say goodbyes to our Belgium Bus Driver, Hilda. The Hotel Tourism was a great find by Rick Steves. Wonderful breakfast and, oh la la, the warmed toliet seat with all the high-tech buttons is a plus.

    Headed out to Rue Cler Street for lunch, where we took in the Paris vibe. Quite the change from the liveliness and hand talking of Italy to the quiet lovely civility of France. Interesting to note the chairs of the cafes facing outward so they can people watch as they sip and enjoy their coffee.

    Afternoon walking tour with our local guide past the Parliment building as she explained the history of Paris. As we continued along the Seine River, you can feel the buzz in the air as Paris is getting ready to host the Summer Olympics 2024. Lots of preparation around town can be seen.

    Continued to the Royal Palace, where Marie Antoinette was held during the French Revolution until her execution in 1792. The Palace also houses Sainte Chapelle built in the 13th century to house the relic of Christ: Crown of Throns. The massive 15 stain glass panes relate scenes from the Old and New Testament. From the outside, the panes look black, but inside with the light coming through, you see them in full color. It was truly spectacular to see.

    4.27
    Early start on the Metro this morning as we are off to the national art museum of Paris, The Louvre. The palace is home to some of the world's most iconic pieces, paintings, and sculptures, including the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, and Winged Victory. So much to see!

    One of our favorite surprises was watching as an art student in The Louvre was painting a duplicate of a masterpiece.

    Later, we took a riverboat down the Seine as we went past that Effial Tower and Notre Dame. (The front facade has been cleaned and restored, and the back that was burned down still under restoration with completion scheduled for the end of this year.

    This was our last night with our tour group. We had a night walk through Paris and a lovely group dinner as we sadly said our goodbyes.

    4. 28
    Roy and Monika (friends we made from Canada) and Morris went out today to explore the Arc de Triumph (climbing to the top for a fantastic view) and Montmartre,
    with its cobbled streets, stunning white Basilica on the hill, artists, bistros ... Montmartre is full of charm! Also saw the square bldg. What a contrast between old and new.

    Packed up to head home after enjoying a lovely dinner evening.
    Weiterlesen