Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    They let be buy dynamite

    February 17, 2018 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Hello again from high up in Potosí,

    At 12000 ft up the air up here is very thin and dry. Through the night last night I drank 2 L of water and still awoke parched. Today's activity is a historical one as we explored the still working silver and mineral mines.
    Our guide collected our passport numbers as he picked us up, thinking back I wonder if this was in case anything went wrong.
    Our first stop in the mine tour was to the miners market to collect gifts for the miners. Each of the mines operate as a co-op where the miners must provide their own supplies including dynamite. Apparently Potosí is one of the only places in the world you are able to buy dynamite on the streets without permits. So of course I bought dynamite as my gift. No Mom and motherly creatures in my life, I will not be attempting to bring it home through customs.
    The miners life is a hard one so I addition to dynamite we also purchased gifts of coca leaves, soda and cigarettes. We are after all guests of their personal mines. After the miners market we got geared up. With pants, jackets, boots and a helmet we looked like true miners. Although I am guessing I was the only red headed pale girl in the mines today.
    Our guide explained to us the history of the mines dating back to the 1700's. He also told us of the life of a miner. It is a hard job with 12-24 hour shifts of dangerous back breaking work. In addition the end of the lives of the minors never being a good thing. All will end up either dyeing either in the mines or with lung disease from the mine. It is a sad tale of very hard working men.
    Going into the mine I was a bit nervous. I suffer from minor claustrophobia. I normally do not let it stop me but it lingers under the surface. The start of the mine was a little over 5 foot tall so I just barely had to bend over. In contrast one of my group members was about 6ft6. Our first stop was to give gifts to Pachamama or mother watch. By the way she had a big bright red penis, so I am a bit confused on the mother earth part. Back to my story. The guide lit a cigarette and put it is her/his mouth. Coca leaves were also given and remember that liquor from a few nights ago that takes off varnish, it was also given. With a cap full you first pour at Pachamama's feet, the a little on her bright red penis, then a sip for yourself. Seriously that stuff has cleaned out my esophagus.
    As we were standing there 2 minors were coming through pushing out their very of minerals. The track was buried in mud and water so this is another of their very difficult jobs.
    Further into the mine we went. In patches there were beautiful crystals growing from the ceiling. As we reached up to touch them we were told it was pure asbestos. Mentioned above the altitude is making my breath hard to find. Include with that going a quarter of a mile into the mountain with a path just 5 ft by 3 ft to escape and pure asbestos growing from the ceiling panic set in. Learned from meditation training I began counting my breaths to ten before starting over and doing in again to keep myself from the panic attack that was quickly forming. Tears welled up in my eyes and the guide asked if we wanted to go further. I replied with a quick and definite NO. Luckily they prepare for this with a second guide to escort the panicked out. I was the only one and felt like I had accomplished enough to go out. After a long track back out I finally saw the literal light at the end of the tunnel. Only 100 feet to go until I was safely in the fresh air.
    As I got out I tore off my helmet, light and coat and again attempted to regain my breath. As scary as this was for me I am still glad I did it. Too see what the miners go through and the strength they possess. It is also a good idea to face my worse fears every now and then. In the future as I attempt a tough challenge I will again remember just to breath and I can get myself through it.

    Tomorrow we leave for the Salt Flats, they are the reason I choose this trip!
    Jodi
    Read more