Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Infinity and Beyond

    February 19, 2018 in Bolivia ⋅ 🌬 24 °C

    Hello from the Bolvian Salt Flats,

    As I have spoken, today was my reason for booking the whole trip and it did not disappoint.
    Our first stop was the train graveyard. Many years ago steam engines were brought from the State's. They did not have mechanics to fix them, so when they stopped working they were brought here to rust the remainder of their days. As you can see the sky was amazing making for some great pictures.
    Our next stop was the Salt Flats. We traveled in comfy 4wd trucks. By choice I came to Bolivia in the rainy season for the best reflective views on the flats. This rainy season was more extreme than most and the start of our journey on the flat the water was over a foot deep splashing over the wheel wells. The very experienced drivers took the route slow as we made out way to a more shallow area. Let me tell you it was all I hoped of it. The drive out in water above the wheel wells was a first.
    As we got out of the trucks the water was about 6 inches deep and warmer than the air. We wore sandals due to the sharp salt crystals on the bottom. As we took out pictures the water flowed past with large salt crystals. Check out the video, it is very relaxing. Every creative picture they had seen on the internet our group took. This included naked pictures for them not me. They sky was the most beautiful blue color with a few sparce clouds gathered near the mountains on the side.
    After a few hours it was time to head to our lodge for the night. This is normally a quick 2 hour trip across the Flats but due to the water we had to go the long way. We took roads that due to the rains and flooding forgot how to be roads. Entire sections were washed out. Parts of it also collapsed under one of the trucks and a quick thinking driver cut and used a seat belt to tow the other truck out.
    As we drove the most amazing night sky appeared. I remember the phrase there are more stars in the sky than grains of sand on the earth. Tonight was one of the night's when that saying made sense. It was incredible. Each star you are use to seeing was surrounded by hundreds of tiny stars around it. It was a long late night but those stars made it worth it.

    Jodi
    Read more