Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Farm stay

    July 11, 2018 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    We arrived safely in Orania on Sunday afternoon. Orania is quite unique in the fact it only has white people living there. A few blacks and coloured people live near by and help work on the farms but they rarely come into town.

    The farm we stayed on is owned by Natasha's aunty Esmien, uncle Dissie and cousin Derius. The farm produces many different grains including corn, maze, alfalfa, and soy and is about 600 hectares. They have been working the farm since 1987 but built the large homestead in 2000.
    They had many "toys" there including multiple John Deer tracks and harvesters of different sizes, bikes, 4x4 camper vans and Utes.
    Whilst we were staying here we got to go out and see how the harvested the corn and plowed the land for the next crop.

    They also own a 200hectare game park with a nice cottage on it which we went to on Monday and I went out for a hunt with Charl and Dissie but unfortunately the rain came in and the animals were all in hiding. So we returned to the cottage and had a nice fire going and just enjoyed the afternoon.
    Tuesday Derius took Charl and myself out again but on the main farm this time and I was able to shoot my first springbok. Charl and I took the springbok to the local butcher who cut it up into steaks, chops and roasts for us.
    Meanwhile Natasha was having a girls day with Esmien in town and came to meet us while we waited for the meat to be ready.

    Last night we started packing up as we needed to hit the road early to make the 9hr drive to Pretoria. This morning we were up before 7 to finish packing and load into the car. We said our goodbyes and departed the house at 8:30.
    Read more