Satellite
  • Day 76

    Eidith Falls

    June 18, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    We came for one but stayed for four days here. We think we have found our inland paradise, here in the North Western part of Katherine Gorge. Lower falls are right by the campground, a km walk up to the upper falls (the best part) and a further 3.5km to Sweetwater Pools (spent most of the hot walk to and from these pools worrying about snakes along the narrow, rocky track!). The swimming was great at all pools although we stuck to the 7am to 7pm swim rule so we weren't in the water while the current 12 resident freshwater crocs feed in the lower pools! Saw a snapping turtle there and a black whip snake right by the path where we were camping. We shared the upper pool with a large water monitor.
    On the way North we stopped in at the Adelaide River War Cemetery where those killed in action in the Northern Territory are buried. As with all commonwealth cemeteries it was peaceful and immaculate. We will learn more about WW2 in Northern Australia in Darwin, but more bombs were dropped on Darwin by the Japanese than at Pearl Harbour. The extent of conflict in Australia during WW2 has been surprising.
    Read more