Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Litchfield National Park

    June 22, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    This large sandstone plateau has many rivers and therefore waterfalls running off it all year as the stone holds onto the water and gradually releases it over the year. Therefore the water was quite a nice temperature, as it has time to heat up, and even clearer than Eidith Falls. Each river had a narrow boarder of rainforest making some lovely walking, especially between Florence Falls (where we camped the first night) and Buley Rockholes where there were also loads of swimming holes to explore. We spent a couple of nights at Wangi Falls walking, swimming and going to a talk by the rangers about the wildlife and plants. We saw a bower bird displaying his 'nest' which is actually a tunnel of branches and a collection of random white items that he dances next to and a colourful collar rises up around his neck. We also went to another ranger talk about the 6 metre tall magnetic and cathedral termite mounds, up to 75 years old. At night we managed to catch fleeting views of bandicoots scurrying through the undergrowth.
    Leaving here marked the end of our campervan adventure, we will be sorry to see it go. We have driven nearly 10,000km in the campervan and car during our time in Australia and only really touched on what it has to offer. On the way to Darwin we passed large areas of "cool burn" where foliage is cleared to prevent larger wildfires. It covered the roads with smoke and the noise was incredible - I'd hate to be near a proper outback fire. We also kept passing old WW2 airstrips (red dust strips of about 5km long, although the buildings have since disappeared.
    Read more