Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    La Vila de Gràcia, Barcelona

    June 28, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Barcelona, I made it and am proud of my navigational skills! I managed to catch the Aerobus and a local bus, then trek my way to the apartment in Gràcia. Phew! And all for under 10 Euros. The Airbnb is in Gràcia, a fantastic location within walking distance from the most prominent attractions.
    But I am still clocking up the kilometres. I did the usual marathon first 24 hrs on foot to the Picasso Museum, Gran Gala Flamenco at the Palau de Musica and Park Guell, then took a long siesta. I love Picasso's early work. What a master at such a young age. There is little of Picassa's cubist period in the Barcelona museum. Still, the chronology takes you through his youth, the blue period, and you can see cubism emerging. His ceramics are fabulous and I understand he broke ground with his designs.
    The Palau de Música is magnificent, especially the stained glass windows, tiled columns, and colourful plasterwork. it is all very elaborate and 700 people fill the theatre each and every night. The program is a beginner’s guide to traditional flamenco. The dancer's foot tapping blew me away. The speed and rhythm are fantastic. I felt like the principal dancer was in a trance and under the control of two female singers. I didn’t understand the story but there was so much passion, it had to be about love and tragedy. Guitars, a violin and drums were the only musical instruments played.
    And Park Guell is the extraordinary Park Guell! Love it or leave it, the tourists flock to see one of Gaudi's most ambitious projects. It looks otherworldly and even a bit of a joke, but the design concept was radical. Guell planned a 'private housing estate', but the idea didn't take off, so Gaudi pushed ahead and built this fantastic fantasy world of aqueducts, tiled fountains and a marketplace of Doric columns. It's all set in a parkland on a hillside with great views of Barcelona.
    After a day and a half of nonstop travel and tourist spectaculars, I was pooped, so walked home and decided a siesta was a good idea. I had a good nap and woke to the sound of music in the local square. Locals were performing traditional dancing, and having a great time together. Others from the area watched, had a beer and tapas under the umbrellas put up by one of the dozens of bars/ cafes/ restaurants in the neighbourhood. This is a real community not a tourist hotspot.
    It seems life is on the street, kids play til late, people drink, chat and eat at bars in the street, we’ll into the evening. Maybe it is the culture or has something to do with the heat and the main meal of the day being at lunchtime followed by the siesta.
    Read more