Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    (Mt) Field of dreams

    May 3, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    We worked out today the shower wasn't possessed, turns out Ann's need of hot water exceeds well.... everything. Unfortunately it took another lukewarm shower for me to work this out.

    After thawing out by standing in the fridge we headed down to Brooke Street Pier to meet our tour. We are going to Russell Falls with Gray Line on this tour http://www.tourstogo.com.au/tour/58957-russell-…

    On the walk to the pier Ann got her doggie fix for the day and then while we waited for the bus to turn up the surprises kept coming.

    First one was the supply ship for Antarctica was docked on the pier next door and then we found the water was teeming with starfish of various sizes and shapes. Not exactly what we expected to see in Tasmania.

    Sue our guide turned up and we were off to Mt Field National Park. The view from the coach was great, which was good because from the moment we started Sue was filling us all in about Hobart and its history.

    We drove along the Derwent River towards the Salmon Ponds which turned out to be another piece of serendipity on what was turning out to be a day of surprises. First point of order was morning tea (which is included in the tour), pancakes and ice cream. I told Ann they were Salmon pancakes and was just about to tuck into hers when the staff assured Ann they were not Salmon, so close.....

    We then headed to the Salmon Ponds to feed the trout? Slightly confusing I know. it turns out the original idea was to breed salmon but trout are more suitable but the name stuck. What I wasn't expecting was the 50+ species of trees from all around the world surrounding the ponds. The ponds are next to the Plenty River which we had to check out in the hope of seeing platypus. Any sensible platypus would be snuggled up next to a warm fire and not swimming in a river, so not surprisingly we didn't see any.

    Don't fear Ann was about to get her pancake revenge. The first pond contains small trout so when you feed them then splash about in a controlled manner. The next pond has a few albino trout which have snuck over from their pond. So I turned up at the third pond and crouch down close to the water hoping to see little trout or maybe the elusive 'Tiger' trout, what I didn't know was this pond contained the breeding stock. Ann threw a handful of food in and the feeding frenzy began, I had to quickly jump back before i became part of today's menu.

    I dripped dried myself and headed back to the bus for the next part of the trip to Russell Falls. Sue was pretty organised getting us to plan our lunches on the way so we can have more time in the National Park and less time in queues.

    The walk to the falls was very easy along a paved path, along the way we stopped regularly for heaps of photos including some very cool looking mushrooms, massive tree ferns and some Tasmanian Oaks, which are not Oaks but eucalyptus, now that's not confusing.

    Russell Falls were amazing, sheets of water cascading down various rock walls. There are two vantage points and it is worthwhile to view the falls from both places as every time you look you see something different. Unsurprisingly we were the last to leave, Sue was a little worried we might stay there all day.

    We eventually made it back for lunch and found our new best friend, a wood fire, mmmmmm. Again we were last to leave, I didn't want the fire to get lonely.

    On the way home we went up the other side of the Derwent River to drop some people off at Boonorong Wildlife Park. We also crossed over the stone causeway built by the convicts just after Hobart was settled and we got to see a few baby Black Swans in the shallows. Turns out it is unseasonally warm so the Swans have yet to head north, not sure I think it is warm but then again I am not paddling around in the water.

    But the surprises were not over yet. There is only one train in Tasmania and it only comes into Hobart every couple of days. So just as we pull up to the train crossing the lights start flashing and along comes the longest, slowest train in Tasmania. It gave us a toot, so we returned the favour. The driver in front thought maybe we were beeping him to move on so he did. Fortunately he realised the train was not a mirage before he found out the hard way.

    We got dropped back in town, did some shopping and headed home, we also found a nice tea shop and a lovely antique shop to browse along the way.
    Read more