Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Crusty Nannas

    August 19, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    It's snow day! We are off to the aptly named Snow Farm for frolicking in the snow, but to be honest driving up it doesn't look like there will be much snow, that was till we crested the mounting and there it was snow as far as you could see.

    Snow Farm is set up for cross country skiing, snow shoeing, dog sledding and frolicking. We found a warm spot for lunch where we could overlook the cross country skiers having fun. But soon enough it was our turn in the snow.

    There was a gently groomed slope for tobaggoning and tubing. Ann started half way down and when she was ready I joined her at the top of the slope which suddenly looked a lot steeper, still I was committed and there were no brakes on the tubes. At the bottom you had to get out of the way quickly before you get bowled over by the next group down the slope.

    Claire and Ritchie gave it a go as well and that just left the Nannas. Ann convinced them to start half way and since they survived that it was up to the top. Denise was happy to get in the tube but not so happy once she started moving, but there was no way to stop. Fortunately Caroline's giggles drowned out everything and they all safely made it to the bottom. It must have been good because they all went again, and again.

    Kelly and I tried the toboggan which had brakes and steering options, very optional. They sort of worked until you needed to stop or steer, but it was ok the fence stopped you, eventually.

    We had to quickly exit the car park of the Snow Farm after Ann's little faux pas. There were a group of disabled skiers receiving a safety lecture from their instructor before hitting the snow. Ann squeezed through and as she turned around her backpack pushed the instructor into one of the wheelchair skiers, it was like dominos on ice.

    On the way home and to put the media off our trail we stopped at an antique shop full of not so old stuff and some very modern prices.
    Read more