Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Tour of Bordeaux

    September 24, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    This morning we visited Bordeaux by motor coach and on foot. The city is located on the left bank on a bend of the Garonne River and was known as the Port of the Moon. It is also called the Sleeping Beauty. According to our local guides the Beauty has awakened due to a massive revitalization of the waterfront during the last 20 years. The warehouses that lined the docks have been torn down revealing the lovely 18th century buildings of the city center. It was named a UNESCO world heritage site in 2007. We saw the Grand Theater, the stone bridge commissioned by Napoleon, Notre Dame church and the memorial monument to the Girondins, who supported a constitutional monarchy during the French Revolution but lost their heads during the Reign of Terror. We also strolled down the Rue St.Catherine, said to be the longest pedestrian shopping street in Europe. It follows the path of an old Roman road.

    The ship cast off for Libourne after lunch so we spent the afternoon on board enjoying the sunshine. The chef also demonstrated how to make macarons. Délicieux!. Speaking of delicious we had one of our best meals that evening: escargots, Châteaubriand and crêpes suzettes! With Bordeaux wines of course. Our dinner companions were a lovely couple from England, Bob and Martine (who is French). A pianist and vocalist have provided our entertainment each evening. Tonight she sang music from operas. Her voice was amazing. A nice way to end the day.
    Read more