Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Ille Cave

    April 16, 2022 on the Philippines ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    We rented a "motorbike" (which was an automatic scooter 🛵) to drive to Ille Cave without spending a fortune on tricycles. We first heard about Ille Cave in Manila and were really looking forward to going there if we had the chance to.

    Excavation at the cave started in 1998, led by a German archaeologist. They found human bones, pottery and burial atrifacts there dating back 6,000 years (some even 10,000 years according to Wikipedia). Furthermore, they found lots of shells (theory: sea levels were higher or people brought the shells with them from the sea) and tiger bones, which means Tigers once used to live here.

    The area directly in front of the cave has been used as a graveyard for thousands of years. Our guide showed us where the archaeologists discovered many of the artifacts and bones and showed us the other areas where they didn't do excavations yet (meaning there are probably a looooot of human remains and burial artifacts in the ground waiting to be discovered 😀).

    After visiting the cave, we took the better road (the other road was a gravel / dirt road and very muddy after the rain) and met Sven from Germany. The first German we met up until now! 😁

    Driving around the island was lots of fun, we took turns driving so we could both enjoy the beautiful views.
    Read more