Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 166

    Remains of a Siamese kingdom

    September 13, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    What a breathtaking city this place must've been! I wanted to come here for years and finally I could see the old capital of the Ayutthaya kingdom with my own eyes. 😍

    Ayutthaya was the second capital of the Siamese kingdom and gained power during the decline of the Khmer empire in the fourteenth century. The Ayutthaya kingdom reigned over modern day Thailand as well as parts of Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia. In the eighteenth century, Ayutthaya was invaded by the Burmese, who burned the city to the ground.

    Foreigners called Ayutthaya Siam but the people of Ayutthaya called themselves Tai and their kingdom Krung Tai, meaning Thai country. The word Thai itself stems from the first Thai Kingdom Sukhothai, which reigned before the Ayutthaya kingdom emerged. Sukhothai was a transliteration of the Khmer word Sukhodaya which itself was taken from the Sanskrit sukha (सुख, 'lasting happiness') and udaya (उदय, 'rise' or 'emergence'). Together, the phrase can be interpreted as meaning "dawn of happiness".

    Although vast parts of the old capital have been destroyed, visiting this historical place is a magical experience. Especially if you're into history and ancient temples like me.
    Read more